Jobs at the Black List
The Black List is hiring a non-titular position who will work with founder Franklin Leonard and Director of Information Terry Huang tracking industry-wide feature film screenplays and identifying high-value properties for development. Though agency/management company assistant experience is not required, ideal candidates will have extensive development community relationships usually born of that experience or a strong desire to develop those relationships. They’ll further possess a particular interest in the independent film world and a general comfort with numbers, data organization, and technology.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter, in PDF form, to email@example.com with the subject header: "Black List - Information Executive Opportunity"
Cover letters should include at least two of the following:
- Your brief thoughts on Brooks Barnes's September 7, 2017 New York Times article "Attacked by Rotten Tomatoes"
- A one paragraph answer to the question "Why does film matter?"
- Name two scripts you were surprised weren't on the 2016 Black List and why.
Freelance Script Readers
The Black List is selectively hiring professional script readers to evaluate screenplays and pilots and to write brief evaluations for submissions from the Black List website. All readers are hired on a freelance basis.
- Readers may read as few or as many scripts as they can accommodate with their schedule.
- All readers are remote and may complete work from any location.
- Readers are paid on a per script basis. Screenplay and 1-hr pilots or longer are paid at $40 per script. Pilots 30 minutes or shorter are paid at $30 per script.
Requirements (please only apply if you meet these criteria):
- Needless to say, readers must read all scripts thoroughly and completely and be detail oriented in their analysis of every script.
- Readers must have strong writing skills, including thoughtful qualitative feedback and clear, concise language (including professional-level grammar and diction).
- Applicants must have a minimum of one year, full-time experience (i.e. not interns) reading as, at least, employed first filters for major Hollywood financiers, studios, networks, production companies, agencies, or management companies.
To apply, send your resume and two samples of previous coverage to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Black List Reader."